Goodbye 2016, and hello 2017 ! I think that most of us by now are eagerly embracing the thought of a brand new year filled with new opportunities and new seasons, or is it just me ? 2016 was a crazy year!
2016 saw many deaths from high profile celebrities, through to world devastation where many innocent people have lost their freedom, their voice, their lives and their loved ones. It’s hard to stay positive and hopeful when all we see and hear is tragic and heartbreaking. And , yes we cannot deny the beautiful moments that shine unexpectedly in-between the mess. Those moments that make us smile, that take our breath away, that restores our hope, that stirs up our faith, and encourages us to keep on going and keep on rising despite the darkness.
2016 for me has been a whirlwind of a year for me personally, and it felt like I was constantly being knocked down to the floor. There were moments where I felt completely broken, lonely and lost. Yet, through all of that, there was healing, there was an unraveling, there was growth, which in turn meant healing and joy slowly returned. 2016 has been a bitter sweet year, and I love knowing that I am ending of 2016 feeling strong , expectant and excited for whatever 2017 has in store for us as a family.
2016 WRAP UP
I thought it would be fun to do a mini WRAP UP POST on all things 2016. Hope you enjoy it, and let me know how your 2016 was, and what you will be looking forward too in 2017.
FAVOURITE PINTEREST QUOTES
MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT OF THE YEAR
- Gosh, I have so many embarrassing moments, that most of them feel like “normal Cass moments” However, I will say this : Being picked up by a woman who was a CPR person at 7 am in Seattle was definitely interesting. It caught me off guard that I did not know what to say or do, so I just laughed awkwardly. I probably looked kinda crazy, as I moon walked out of the Seattle with my coffee in hand laughing hysterically.
FAVOURITE SAYING / CATCH PHRASE
- ” Just living my best life . ” – Cass Ferguson quote on the daily.
FAVOURITE SOCIAL MEDIA APP
- Instagram hands down!
- I started off the year obsessing over Snapchat , and I still love it – but I must say I find myself most absorbed on Instagram. I just think that Instagram keeps on evolving and is a great way to connect and communicate with others visually and creatively.
BEST OF NINE PHOTO’S
FAVOURITE MALAKAI SAYINGS
- ” Don’t talk to me now, I am busy.”
- ” I just want to love you. ” (followed by a big hug and sloppy cheek kiss – my favourite)
- ” Okay, look at me when I am talking, alright? “
- ” What are we going to do ? “
- ” Okay, we mustn’t do it because it’s dangerous (two minutes later he does it)
- ” Hello, little old man. ” (said rather playfully to his dad)
- ” Can I watch MIN-JING (Ninja) Turtles please ? “
- ” Can I ride my Bike-EE-sil (bicycle) please ? “
- Stranger things.
- How to get away with murder.
- 12 Monkeys.
- The Path.
- The Mindy project.
- The Goldbergs.
- Haters back off.
- Reality TV : Hotel Hell, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The rich wives of Beverly Hills.
PROUDEST MOMENT OF THE YEAR
- Malakai holding his own so confidently and sweetly at his school concert this year. My heart burst with pride when I saw him smile so sweetly on stage as he did his little dance moves.
- Seeing Malakai courageously float and try out a mini swim attempt today by himself (30 December) at my parents house. Yay!
- Rapping at my friends wedding with the backing track of Vanilla Ice-Ice Baby – but obviously wrote my own lyrics – because I’m a lyrical G. (Another tick for the bucket list #nailedit)
THINGS I’VE LEARN’T THIS YEAR
- To trust God with my mess.
- To trust God even when I feel like I can’t hear Him or sense Him.
- Family always.
- It’s okay not to be okay.
- It’s okay to not be perfect.
- It’s okay when life gets messy.
- You don’t need to please everyone and say yes to everything and everyone.
- You do not need to explain yourself to anyone.
- Competing and comparing yourself comes from an insecure space.
- Who you are is a gift, embrace it, own it and celebrate it.
- Encourage others to be brave, and to keep on dreaming.
BEST MOMENTS OF 2016
- Launch of Leather Jacket Foxes, and watching it grow naturally.
- Taking over Nifty 250’s Insta acc for a weekend.
- Connecting with awesome local women entrepreneurs and learning from them.
- Working with local brands. (Hugest honor)
- Meeting new Instagram mama friends!
- Friends who had babies this year.
- Friends who got engaged and married this year.
- Going for a full day spa day with my mom.
- Having a free mini holiday in Greyton with my family.
- Going full blonde.
- Making drama eisteddfod finals with a play I wrote and directed.
- Helping direct actors for Christmas spectacular at the Grandwest Arena.
- Malakai having seizures and watching him convulse and black out and not be responsive was very scary for us as a family. But somehow that brought us all closer together as a family, and stirred our faith even more so. Malakai will go for more scans in the New Year, and we are hoping to wean him off his seizure meds.
- Then personally : dealing with anxiety and depression, and taking medication to help with it. It was hard for me to wrap my head around it, and I felt very hopeless and like a complete mess and failure when initially going through it and learning to understand it. However, months later I am feeling much better and feel more empowered through having knowledge and understanding of it. And a big thank you to family and special friends who spoke courage, love , faith over me during that time – it meant the world to me <3
NEW GOALS FOR 2017
- I have a few creative ideas in my heart that require me to put myself out there more, and it requires me to be a bit more bold and brave creatively. So in a nutshell , I want to create more tangible things (will keep you all posted via here of its progress) that will ultimately bless , encourage and inspire others!
- I want to love others more, and express my love for them in more tangible ways.
- I want to always be present in the moment with my family, and with others.
- I want to learn a new skill, and try out a new hobby this year! (watch this space)
- There are also a few other extra goals that we are wanting to work on as a family, which we are excited to work towards together as a family <3
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE .
WISHING YOU A BLESSED AND FAVOUR FILLED YEAR AHEAD.
MAY 2017 BE YOUR BEST YEAR YET !