I love introducing inspiring entrepreneurs that dared to dream, dared to step out, and dared to create something that they believed in. That’s why I LOVE doing these colab Q&A’s with local South African entrepreneurs. I find it inspiring and encouraging, when I hear the heart and soul behind their businesses / brand, and I know it will inspire you the reader to hold onto and to pursue your dreams.
Today we hear from the lovely Ruth, from Ruth J Baby Accessories. We met via Instagram – (as one does these days) . Although I don’t know her personally I feel like I do know her through our mini chats via, email, Instagram, Facebook – you name it! It’s such an honor to hear from this beauty today, I know that her story will inspire you to step out as you dare to believe in making your dreams a reality.
RUTH J BABY ACCESSORIES
- I was raised by a very close and driven family. Therefore, I knew that ‘dreaming big’ would be my motto in life.
- I love being creative and thinking outside of the box. This was instilled in me from a young age.
- I love adventure and I’m always up for a challenge. My previous skills include game-ranging, make up artist and business administration.
- I’m passionate about Ruth J Baby Accessories, which I started in 2015.
- I’m independent, family-orientated, and a true believer in; “hard work pays off”.
WHAT INSPIRED THE NAME OF YOUR BUSINESS?
- Coming up with a name was fairly simple, I had a few ideas at hand but couldn’t decide which would describe my brand and what I do best. I needed a name that would resonate with the image I always wanted to promote. With much consideration of many options, I thought to myself why don’t I just go with my own name – it’s simple, and it’s me. So RuthJ happened.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR BRAND?
- Unique and fresh are two words that immediately come to mind. I wanted something out of the ordinary for moms and their babies. Something you can’t just walk into any store and buy. My items are fun, colourful and also very personal.
WHAT ENCOURAGED YOU TO START YOUR BUSINESS?
- Starting my business initially started as a hobby. A very good friend of mine was pregnant and when it was time for her baby shower I wanted to give her something different and special. So I decided to make her some bandana bibs, headbands and a blanket. I never imagined I would get such a good response when people saw the goodies. So that gave me the encouragement to work at growing it. My friend Melissa and her beautiful baby girl Bailey was my initial inspiration to make unique baby things – Great.
WHAT ARE THE PRO’S & CON’S WHEN STARTING OUT AS AN ENTREPRENEUR?
- The pros; would be doing something you love and feeling fulfilled doing it. It makes me so happy to know I can create things that people love. Cons; it takes a lot of discipline and dedication, because you know that you are the only one that can make or break what you’re working on. Everything relies on you and how hard you work. But it’s totally worth it!
WHO ARE WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
- I get my inspiration from the ‘modern mom’. Seeing moms out there wanting unique and personalized items for their babies – definitely inspires me to come up with things that would appeal to them. And then to be doing something that I love of course – this is most satisfying. The more I do of what I love, the more inspired I get.
WHAT VALUABLE LESSONS HAVE YOU LEARN’T THUS FAR?
- Most importantly, I have learnt not to feel discouraged when business is a bit slow. You just have to keep on pushing through the quiet times and not lose hope in yourself or in your brand. Naturally, this has taught me to be a lot more patient and dedicated to the task at hand.
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU LIKE TO SHARE WITH FELLOW ENTREPRENEURS?
- Don’t let people, or people’s opinions, hold you back. Go and work on your dreams. You will always face negativity, but don’t let that dictate whether or not you will pursue your dreams and goals. Stay true to who you are and stay focused on your goals.
STAY IN TOUCH WITH RUTH J
GIVEAWAY WITH RUTH J BABY ACCESSORIES
ENTER & WIN —>
Ruth J is giving away a unisex baby hamper, which includes a burping cloth, bandana bib, and a fabric dummy clip. Practical and oh so sweet looking.
TO ENTER SIMPLY DO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING :
- Comment below on this post.
- Retweet the giveaway via my Twitter account @cassanferguson .
- Tag a friend on the competition giveaway post Facebook.
- Tag a friend on the Instagram post & make sure you follow @ruthjbabyaccessories
T&C’s —> Only open to this citizens of South Africa.
MODEL : Baby Willow Harper Shaw
PHOTOGRAPHER : Rash Ferguson
CRAZY BABY ART DIRECTORS : Aunty Cass, & Mama Maria Shaw.